Monday, November 9, 2009
Start your week off right by spoiling your friends, family and yourself with peanut butter and jelly cookies! And make sure you've got enough ingredients to make two batches; the first probably won't make it to tomorrow!
yield: 46 cookies
3/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter, mixed well
4 ounces of unsalted butter, softened
1/3+ cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
seedless raspberry jam
1. In a mixer, combine peanut butter and butter until smooth. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Add sugars. Mix until uniform and fuffy, then fold in egg and vanilla. Mixer on low, add flour, powder, soda and salt until well combined.
3. Rolling with your hands, form even balls of dough into 1" diameters. Coat each ball with granulated sugar, then place on a cookie sheet (I always line mine with parchment first) with about a 2" spacing. (These cookies don't spread very far.)
4. Bake cookies for 10 minutes until they've puffed up. Remove from oven. Using a 1/4" teaspoon, press a small well in the middle of each cookie. Spoon a rounded 1/4" teaspoon of jam into each cookie, then return to the oven. Bake for an additional 6 minutes or until golden in color.
5. Transfer to wire racks and try your best to wait to sample a cookie once they've cooled.