Monday, February 22, 2010

Alton Brown Came to Town

Hey foodies!  Last Friday, Alton Brown came to town to give a celebrity lecture supporting the Indian Creek Foundation, and I enjoyed being in attendance.  Alton entertained by mixing three recipes and a continuous Q&A dialogue with the audience.


Sadly, this is the best picture I got.  Having lost 50 pounds, he was a little more difficult to catch on camera (certainly not because of the quality of my little point and shoot.)  I hope that he comes out with a weight loss cookbook soon!   I'm guessing it won't contain my favorite recipe that evening: a 5 minute chocolate cake!

Alton whipped 8 eggs, 5 1/2 oz of sugar and a pinch of salt in a mixer on medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes.  Then, he added 7 1/2 oz of melted dark chocolate until combined, and continued with 1 1/2 oz of all purpose flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons of expresso powder and 2 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.


Now here's the fun part.  He added the cake mix into a N2O charged cream whipper, then filled a glass coffee cup with the now aerated cake mix.  The glass went into the microwave for 45 seconds on 90% and out came cake!  I wish I could have tried it...and I was totally ready to make this cake when I got home, but I didn't have the $100 stainless-steel cream whipper. (The nitrous oxide cartridges are extra...)  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment