Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tomato Cobbler

Jill and Polly

Wondering what to do with all those garden tomatoes crowding up your countertop?  Well, me too…

Tomato wedges tossed with basil, salt and pepper.

An experiment for the oven, tonight I made “Tomato Cobbler” from Mark Bitman’s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.    And you and I both thought cobbler was for fruit and berries, right?  Never afraid to veer from the black and white print, I added some fresh basil from my garden to spice up the tomatoes and cheese from my grocer’s refrigerator to, well, cheese up the topping.

Tomato Cobbler

Dinner turned out quite tasty!  Tomatoes are now acceptable with the word “cobbler” in my house; (though, prefixes like “apple,” “peach,”and “blueberry” may still be preferred.)  This dish reminded me a lot of tomato pie, a pizza without cheese found in the Philly area.

I spent the rest of the evening updating some of the photos in my shop, and now it’s past time for bed!  Happy September!

No comments:

Post a Comment