Saturday, December 19, 2009

Handmade Glass Ornaments



The snow swirls outside and the stereo practically blasts Christmas music.  'Tis finally the season!  And I finally got around/was in the mood to "hang" my handmade blown glass ornaments!  They're not exactly hanging on our tree, but up high on one of our antique light fixtures so that cats won't find them...

My husband and I spent some chummy time together and took a hand blown glass ornament class through the community education program in our area.  (Did you read about the other glass ornaments I made??)  With torches and hot glass involved, I knew we were in for a good time!

The whole process was intimidating at first, but turned out to be very simple:

 
 We started with pre-fabricated glass tubes and added glass frit to them.

 
Using a torch, we heated the glass until the frit stuck to the edges and the glass glowed warm orange.



 When the glass tube was toasty warm, we blew into them and our little ornaments took shape!

 

It was so much fun, and they're really quick to make!  You just have to be patient while they cool. Now we have twenty unique glass ornaments to deck our halls with! 

1 comment:

  1. Your ornaments look great - thanks for posting the steps! I've always been interested but a little intimidated with glass blowing - something about the torch and fire. :)

    ReplyDelete