Monday, June 7, 2010
A Bean’s Clutch for Bean
I just finished making myself a new Bean’s Clutch. Not because I needed one, but because someone asked me if I could custom embroider monograms on clutches for her bridesmaids. I hate to say “no” and also don’t like saying “yes” to something I’ve never done, so…I made a trial clutch.
First, I made sure I could embroider on oilcloth. Turns out, not only can I embroider on it, but it pops up off the fabric and looks very classy! (Just be careful, you can’t iron oilcloth or get it wet, so I’ve heard. Just like mogwais…)
The other tricky part was getting that monogram centered. I felt that I was somewhat lucky with this clutch…but I’m not so sure I will be lucky if I have to do this 7 more times.
Note the painter’s tape! Since it was a clutch for myself, I sewed together scraps to make a big enough piece of fabric for a clutch. The juxtaposed fabrics definitely gives my clutch some character! This could possibly be a new look for Bean’s Clutches.
I really enjoy how my new clutch turned out, and can’t wait to replace it with the one I have in my purse! However, monogramming adds some significant cost and time to making Bean’s Clutches; maybe I won’t agree to it next time.