Tomorrow’s the big 2nd Annual Cookie Contest at work, and I spent the evening baking away! It was a sunny 90 degrees outside today, and probably about an overheated 89 degrees in my kitchen this evening. Perfect cookie baking weather!
Based on my favorite summer time treat, here’s my entry for this year’s contest:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars, divided into squares
- 30 large marshmallows, halved horizontally
- Arrange oven racks: one in the middle and one at the top. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Add combined flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop 1 tablespoonful of dough onto cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart. Press 1 square of chocolate into the top of each cookie.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove sheet from oven; pre-heat broiler. Top each cookie with a marshmallow. Place sheet on top rack of oven, and broil until marshmallows are lightly browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Set oven temperature back to 375 and continue with next sheet of cookies.
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
Give them a try and let me know what you think!